Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Works in Progress: Centigors (Unit #1).

With the completion of the Beast King and the Celestial Dragon Monk, I began work on the conversion of my Centigor units. As with all of my units, the Centigor are going to be subject to some heavy conversion work and sculpting.

The difference between these units and the others, however, are that there only five figures in each of these units while some of my others -- the Temple Monk P'nthors (Ungors) and the Ti'Gors of the Golden Fang clan (Gors), most notably -- have as many as 40 figures per unit.

There are currently two units of five centigors in production, and three other units of five centigors. The first (pictured here) features a Standard Bearer (which the other centigor units won't have) and the requisite Ghorros Warhoof.





As always, comments and (constructive) criticisms are appreciated!

2 comments:

Simonster said...

Like it! So what's the background to these guys? I was expecting zebras or mantises, but you've thrown a curve ball and gone with men! clever!

Jacin said...

Originally, I was going to go with something a bit more exotic but, after reading up on the origins of centaur mythology, I discovered that there is actually a decent argument for an Indian (rather than Greek) origin.

From Wikipedia (you know, the most reliable of all internet sources):

Robert Graves (relying on the work of Georges Dumezil argued for tracing the centaurs back to the Indian gandharva), speculated that the centaurs were a dimly remembered, pre-Hellenic fraternal earth cult who had the horse as a totem. A similar theory was incorporated into Mary Renault's The Bull from the Sea. Kinnaras, another half-man half-horse mythical creature from the Indian mythology, appeared in various ancient texts, arts as well as sculptures from all around India. It is shown as a horse with the torso of a man in place of where the horse's head has to be, that is similar to a Greek centaur.

Digging deeper into the Kinnara, I found that they 'have the habit of drinking (alcohol),' were seen with 'Yotis' (or Yeti, which will serve as my Razorgor), and that their females are 'very beautiful' and 'wander freely in the forests.'

So, as all of that fit rather neatly with what I was attempting for my army, I went with it.